From the humorous and light-hearted to the somewhat serious and frustrated, Adventures in the Food Service offers stories from both the sales-side and customer-side of the food service, particularly the fast food industry.

Friday, June 10, 2011

FFR: McDonald's McCafé Frozen Strawberry Lemonade


"It's sweet. It's tangy. And it's cool."
Well, McDonald's has one part of their new slogan for the Frozen Strawberry Lemonade correct. It is indeed tangy. Another word that comes to mind is "bitter" or "sour". While journeying north one day, I stopped to enjoy a Frozen Strawberry Lemonade at a McDonald's off of the highway. I thought that it would be cool, sweet, and refreshing, as they had advertised.
I took a sip, and to my surprise, my taste buds were assaulted with sour lemon taste. While the drink was indeed "artistically" mixed up, as pictured to the right, there was quite an abundance of lemon in the drink. The proportion of strawberry to lemon was probably 1:3.
Upon moving my straw around, I did catch a sip of the strawberry, which was far more pleasing and sweet compared to the lemon component. This was a relief from the bitterness of the lemon.
As for the texture, the drink offered a slightly slushy property, while still being watery. Whether this was good or bad, I can't say. It made the drink easy to drink with a straw, but on the other side, almost reminded me of a melted milkshake.
So McDonald's, I suggest a new name for your Frozen Strawberry Lemonade: Sour Patch Kid Slushy.

I hope you enjoyed this FFR.  Check back soon for the next one, or email me with suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment